Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wendy to K!

 Spring has sprung out here in Kalamazoo, although most days you wouldn't know it with all the cold and rainy weather. Fortunately, Mom brought some sunshine and warmth with her when she came out for my dance recital last week. She got in later than expected on Thursday due to weather complications and being the savvy woman she is, hitched a ride with a K College student who was picking up prospective students at the Kalamazoo airport. My boss said "What a K mom thing to do!" All three performances went really well, and it was wonderful to have Mom here. We had some wonderful meals downtown and she cooked food for me and Allyson, my roommate, which is always nice :) On Friday, one of the nicest days, we had the good fortune to stumble upon baby sheep on the quad! A kind mom had brought the newborns to campus so that her daughter who had been unable to go home for Easter could see them. The one I am holding is called "Lion" his twin is named "Dandy", they are inseparable, and most adorable.
 I was in four dances this year. I choreographed one, and co-choreographed another one for the Junior class. We did a medley of songs that were popular around the world during our time abroad, and it turned out really well. Good fun was had by all. The picture below is from the dance Dwight, my boyfriend's housemate, choreographed. You'll notice how he kindly chose thick sweaters as the costume...I almost had a heat stroke wearing it and trying to dance under hot lights. After the show ended Mom came and stayed with me and Allyson in our apartment. She bravely put up with our slovenly ways and took out our trash and recycling, did our dishes as well as hung up my clothing. Old habits die hard, but do not go unappreciated. Her last night here we went out to our favorite restaurant, Food Dance, which has a selection of locally grown food and is most delicious. Zak and Allyson came along and we stuffed ourselves happily. The next morning I dropped Mom off at the airport and then got back to the grind of school work. Who knew there was so much work in college? I don't think my university in Chile got the message.

Wishing you all a warm and happy Mother's day. Thinking of you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment